This is an exercise for practicing the use of "going to" as future in the past.
1. He didn't sing that night. He got a sore throat.
He was going to sing that night, but he got a sore throat.
2. They didn't visit Italy. They didn't have time.
They were going to visit Italy, but they didn't have time.
3. She didn't go for a walk. It was raining.
She was going to go for a walk, but it was raining.
4. I could do my homework. I had forgotten my books.
I was going to do my homework, but I had forgotten my books.
5. He didn't attend the conference that morning. It was snowing heavily.
He was going to attend the conference that morning, but it was snowing heavily.
Future in the Past: Lesson (Would, Past Continuous, Going to, Was/Were to + Infinitite, Was/Were to Have + Past Participle)
Future in the Past: Exercise on "Would" & "Going to"
Future in the Past: Exercise on "Was/Were to + Infinitive" and "Was/Were to Have + Past Participle"