Present Simple vs Present Continuous:
Revision + Exercise + Printable Worksheet
Remember that we use the Present Simple to talk about:
states: I live in Libya.
habits: Jane goes walking three days a week.
daily routines: I get home from work at 9:00 pm.
facts that are always true: Spring starts on March 21st.
And the Present Continuous to describe:
Actions in progress at the moment of speaking: "Lory, are you listening to me?"
Temporary habits: "I’m working extra hours this month."
Repeated temporary actions: "You’re making the same mistake again."
Exercise:Complete the sentences using the same verb. One sentence needs the present simple tense, and the other the present continuous. Note they are all questions.
a. You seem so absorved. What ____________? are you reading
b. Your brother loves poetry. ___________ poems too, John? Do you read
1) stay a. Are you staying b. Do you stay
2) eat a. Do you eat b. Are you eating
3)sleep a. Does he sleep b. Is - sleeping
4) walk a. Are you walking b. Do you walk
5) cook a. Do you cook b. are you cooking
6) go a. don't you go b. are you going
7)think a. do you think b. are you thinking
8) look a. Does she look b. Are you looking